Category Archives: C-section

OB update

Yesterday I met with my OB. She checked the heart rate, in the 140s(my boy is consistent, I don’t think we’ve ever had anything different since around 13 weeks.) She asked how the bleeding was, and then said we’d decided the mode of delivery at 35 weeks. I told her honestly, a vaginal delivery, given all my craziness, makes me nervous. She said that she understands, and in my position, she would be nervous as well. She then said, if I wanted to do a c-section and just avoid the crazy cervix altogether, she was perfectly fine with that. So that is what we’re doing. She’s going to talk to Dr. W our MFM, because if we do a c-section, she would prefer to leave the cerclage in until 6 weeks post partum to let the cervical swelling and craziness from pregnancy go down. So I have the latest date possible Calvin will be here. December 30th sounds like a great day to have a baby doesn’t it?

I know that I will likely get some flack for this decision, but those people haven’t experienced the bleeding and fear that Joseph and I have. And letting my cervix dialate and efface makes us nervous, then to push a baby through the cervix…it just seems safest for us to avoid the cervix altogether. In fact, my OB said she’s not doing any more speculum exams, she’s going to send me to Dr. W for them. She admitted that when she attempted the colposcopy and I started bleeding, she didn’t know if she would be able to stop it. So she understands the issues and is fully supportive. She also informed me that I am a case study and Dr. W and Dr. M are writing it up. I am so thankful she passed me on to them when she did. And I am thankful as of now, she will be delivering Calvin. If I go early, it could absolutely be a different doctor from the practice, but for now it’s Dr. T. On December 30th 2014, at 12 noon!

Contractions, Calvin, Cervix

In no certain order:

-I am having contractions. Kinda nuts. we were walking into the MFM’s office(more on that) and I told Joseph I was cramping. They got us in an u/s room and the first thing the tech said, was that I was having a contraction.

-My sweet boy is a mover. He is obstinate and doesn’t like his picture taken.

-My cervix is nuts.

We met with Dr. M, the ob oncologist, he told us he would look, he likely wouldn’t biopsy outside of the operating room because of my bleedy bleedy tendencies. He used the smallest speculum in hopes of not irritating anything. He looked through his microscope for all of 20 seconds. Back up, did a touch exam(IDK what to call it, but you know when the check your cervix with their fingers.) Then said, he does not think this vascular entity(he wouldn’t name it) is malignant. He then said he wanted me to see an MFM this week. He does a lot of cervical/vaginal surgery, so he gets sent all surgical patients, but because I am pregnant, he wanted the MFM to do an intense ultrasound of this vascular thing and make sure my cervix was ok. He also told us, when he looked through the microscope at my cervix, he couldn’t see it. All he could see was this vascular thing. So he told asked us to wait while he tried to get us in to see the MFM tomorrow. He came back in about 10 minutes and  asked what we were doing this afternoon, and if we’d be able to go today. We said we could absolutely go today, and immediately walked over to the MFMs office.

As we were walking into the MFMs office is when I felt a contraction. Anywho, we get to the MFMs office and they immediately get me back into the u/s room. We ultrasound and see Calvin boy, he’s doing well and growing. The MFM Dr.W came in(he’s actually the same MFM we saw for our fetal heart echo last week.) Dr. W asked that they put me in trendelenburg. I stayed like that for about 10 minutes, then Dr. W came back in and did a vaginal u/s and u/s the vascular thing. For like 30 minutes. I couldn’t see(I was still in trendelenburg) but Joseph could see. He concluded that this is likely a varicose vein. It starts about half way up my cervix, and proceeds to the outside, where it is everywhere.

“So what to do?” He literally said this allowed. He also said this is likely going to get worse. The normal first time mom has cervical changes in 30+ weeks, the fact that I’ve had this since 13 weeks…not promising for natural fixings. So as Calvin gets bigger he’s going to put more pressure on my cervix and thus this varicose vein.

The options:Dr. W and Dr. M are discussing surgical options tonight and will call me tomorrow.

1. Attempting to get a stitch around the varicose vein. The issue with this, if they stick the vein and it starts bleeding, it could be bad.

2. Attempting to get a stich around the cervix above the varicose veins origin. Issue with this, they may not be able to get high enough.

3. Nonsurgical options(mechanisms in the vagina to put pressure on the vein) balloon, or vaginal packing.

4. Nothing. Close monitoring. C-section. If we do nothing, he said he doesn’t think I should go past 38 weeks, and 32 is the goal(every week after that is a bonus.) Issues with this are continuous bleeding, chances of crazy bleeding.

Dr. W wants me on a stool softener(which I’ve been on since 6 weeks) and he said to take milk of magnesia a couple times a week to keep things really soft.

So, we will wait until Dr. M and Dr. W decide.

Prayers for wisdom for these amazing doctors. Prayers for peace for Joseph and I. Prayers for health for myself and Calvin.

Bleeding cervix

Just thought I’d pop in and give you an update. Oh crap, I need to take a bump pic today as well.

Any who, I am 21 weeks pregnant with sweet baby boy Calvin. My cervix is still bleeding. I had two days of just brownish to normal cervical mucuous, but then (TMI) I had a BM and started gushing blood. It in two days, in time for another BM(this morning) where I started gushing blood again.

This leads me to believe that if bearing down to pass a normal non constipated poop causes this much bleeding, bearing down to push a Calvin sized baby out of my cervix is not a good idea either.

Our small groups knows about the bleeding, as do both sets of parents. But the new bleeding is exacerbated by bearing down, I haven’t shared with any of them. Yesterday, I visited my parents house like I do almost every Friday afternoon(my dad has half days, and my younger brother isn’t working, so at that visit I can see 5/8 family members, which is pretty good) and told him about Dr.T and her wanting us to consider having a csection. He informed me if she was persistent, I could go to another doctor. I just said that we’re absolutely considering it and if its what we need to do to keep everyone safe, that’s what we’ll do. I imagine if I had informed him of the cervix explodes when I bear down, he’d understand more, but its weird to talk to your dad about your bleeding cervix. Lol.

Joseph felt Calvin move this week for sure, we think he felt him last week, but it was only once, this week he’s felt him several times. Calvin actually woke me up this morning, well Calvin moving and my extreme hunger.

Also at my parents house on Friday my dad said they’re going to have to figure out a new family dinner arrangement. Currently we have big family dinners at least every holiday and whenever my little sister comes in town from college. There are 7 original family members, three significant others, our neighbor, my sweet niece Charlie, and soon to be Calvin. But my dad was saying, it was crammed with the 8(7 original + Joseph) since then we’ve added a folding card table on the end of the long table to accommodate the rest, but Charlie’s now sitting at the table in high chair, and any moment we could have a foster child or two. So they’re figuring out a new set up. It was really nice to include our potential foster kiddos and Calvin. I think us having our little miss, ever if it was just for 48 hours, just kind of put it into perspective in terms of the fact that things happen fast.

Last night I felt huge. I wasn’t huge, I was super full(we ate Qdoba!) and bloated. And I feel like Calvin is growing so much that I’m growing and hurting a bit.

All in all, I am so incredibly thankful for my sweet boy.

I am so looking forward to reading all of your posts. I know several of you are in IVF cycles, and I am praying so hard this is it for you!.

Cervix, Calvin, and heart update.

So today I had my colposcopy (microscope view of my cervix.) My ob got in there, and rubbed the vinegar solution on my cervix, and it started bleeding. Profusely bleeding. Like spent ten minutes changing out “sponges” to get it to wear she was comfortable. She wasn’t even able to really get a good look. She doesn’t think it is cancer, but wants has referred me to an ob oncologist(who I’m supposed to meet with in the next two weeks) who sees cancer everyday to be sure. I asked her, if this bleeding just by being touched, had an implication on delivery. She said that if this continues, she’ll likely want to do a c-section. After delivery, she may want to do a biopsy. The ob oncologist may want to a biopsy sooner, which I feel like if she does, we’ll let her. For now, I’m cramping and bleeding, which they told me was ok. I can use tampons for the next 48 hours. If I bleed through more than a tampon/pad an hour, then I’m suppose to call and they’ll have me come in to impact my vagina(stuff it full of sponges.) but hopefully that won’t be an issue. Pelvic rest for the of my pregnancy.

We also had our fetal heart echo/anatomy scan today. Calvin is a MOVER. weighting 11 ounces. Everything measures on time or ahead, except his femur is about a week behind. I know this is a soft marker for down syndrome, but his nuchal fold is normal, and his renal glands and kidneys are normal. Also, Joseph has a longer torso and shorter legs, so I’m thinking he just takes after his daddy. Also he’s got a bigger gap between his big toe and second toe like his daddy. So that’s what I’m going with so I have one less thing to worry about. In terms of his heart, Calvin flipped over and wouldn’t flip back over, they tried for 20 minutes, so they couldn’t get all their measurements. What they saw looks great (4 chambers, all correct arteries) but they want me to go back in at 28 weeks to get another peek at his heart.

I also had my maternal heart echo this morning. they didn’t tell me anything, they have to write their report and my dr will tell me. But I think I have a murmur(which isn’t news.) But there is no issue with my PDA repair(which isn’t news either.)