Yesterday I met with my OB. She checked the heart rate, in the 140s(my boy is consistent, I don’t think we’ve ever had anything different since around 13 weeks.) She asked how the bleeding was, and then said we’d decided the mode of delivery at 35 weeks. I told her honestly, a vaginal delivery, given all my craziness, makes me nervous. She said that she understands, and in my position, she would be nervous as well. She then said, if I wanted to do a c-section and just avoid the crazy cervix altogether, she was perfectly fine with that. So that is what we’re doing. She’s going to talk to Dr. W our MFM, because if we do a c-section, she would prefer to leave the cerclage in until 6 weeks post partum to let the cervical swelling and craziness from pregnancy go down. So I have the latest date possible Calvin will be here. December 30th sounds like a great day to have a baby doesn’t it?
I know that I will likely get some flack for this decision, but those people haven’t experienced the bleeding and fear that Joseph and I have. And letting my cervix dialate and efface makes us nervous, then to push a baby through the cervix…it just seems safest for us to avoid the cervix altogether. In fact, my OB said she’s not doing any more speculum exams, she’s going to send me to Dr. W for them. She admitted that when she attempted the colposcopy and I started bleeding, she didn’t know if she would be able to stop it. So she understands the issues and is fully supportive. She also informed me that I am a case study and Dr. W and Dr. M are writing it up. I am so thankful she passed me on to them when she did. And I am thankful as of now, she will be delivering Calvin. If I go early, it could absolutely be a different doctor from the practice, but for now it’s Dr. T. On December 30th 2014, at 12 noon!
We had our follow up for the surgery with the MFM today. He said it looks great in the sense that he can actually make out a cervix! There is still some vasculature but it is looking much more normal. Now I go back to my normal ob til 35 weeks, then I’ll have a check up with a new MFM(mine is taking a new specialty boards in Feb, so he’ll be done practicing by October) at which time they’ll decide what to do from there. Best case scenario is they’ll clip the cerclage and let nature take its course for a vaginal delivery.
I had posted when the bill was in progress. Yesterday I received a a piece of mail from our insurance saying that Dr.M had thought enough ahead to get the cervical revision preapproved, but in reviewing the bill, if my insurance deemed anything medically unnecessary, it would not be covered. They had sent a similar notice last week, I don’t remember it saying the whole “things might not be covered” so I started panicking thinking this was our insurances way of telling us we’re reviewing it, there are some things we’re not going to cover, here’s your heads up. Clearly I was wrong. You can clearly see, our insurance adjustment took care of about $18600 of this, which brings up a whole other discussion, but either way, right now we’re thankful.
You can see that insurance hasn’t decided what they’ll pay yet. But another bill for $3000 ish they paid $640, we paid $160. But seeing that number…whew. We’re not certain if that is EVERYTHING, I kind of highly doubt that it is everything. Like that is just the hospital, I’m fully expect to get a bill from our anesthesiologist, and both Dr.W and Dr.M. Just to put it into perspective, Dr.W did our fetal heart echo, and it was the $3000 bill mentioned, so having him preform cervical surgery, I expect to be much more. What we have taken away from this, is we will likely meet our out of pocket annual MAX once this is all said and done. So hopefully Calvin, and anything else that happens will be FREE.
I have a follow-up appt with Dr.W September 11th at 9:15, and then a follow-up with my regular ob Dr.T September 12th 11:50.
Prior to surgery, my biggest blood loss occurred during a bowel movement. It would pour out of me. So the day before the surgery, I held in a bowel movement because I was scared. So today, when the urge came upon me to have a bm, I was scared. I made Joe stand outside the door. But the bm came and went, and the bleeding wasn’t anymore than I’ve had since the surgery, definitely less than before. I know its too early to say definitively, but so far I feel great, and I’m so thankful.
So, I have decided to make a whole new page on my blog about my cervical varicose episode. When they first mentioned to me this may be a cervical varicose, I googled. I know I shouldn’t have googled. I found a couple of places where women had asked different forums, but nobody replied with anything helpful, and those ladies didn’t follow up. So naturally, I assumed the worst, that they bled out when one accidentally ruptured. I found one medical journal article that I clung to as the source of all my information. But because of this, I wanted to write as much about my experience with it as necessary. So the hope is that one day, some scared pregnant woman will google cervical varicose vein, and find my blog, with all the information and experiences I had with it.