Category Archives: Cervix

OB update

Yesterday I met with my OB. She checked the heart rate, in the 140s(my boy is consistent, I don’t think we’ve ever had anything different since around 13 weeks.) She asked how the bleeding was, and then said we’d decided the mode of delivery at 35 weeks. I told her honestly, a vaginal delivery, given all my craziness, makes me nervous. She said that she understands, and in my position, she would be nervous as well. She then said, if I wanted to do a c-section and just avoid the crazy cervix altogether, she was perfectly fine with that. So that is what we’re doing. She’s going to talk to Dr. W our MFM, because if we do a c-section, she would prefer to leave the cerclage in until 6 weeks post partum to let the cervical swelling and craziness from pregnancy go down. So I have the latest date possible Calvin will be here. December 30th sounds like a great day to have a baby doesn’t it?

I know that I will likely get some flack for this decision, but those people haven’t experienced the bleeding and fear that Joseph and I have. And letting my cervix dialate and efface makes us nervous, then to push a baby through the cervix…it just seems safest for us to avoid the cervix altogether. In fact, my OB said she’s not doing any more speculum exams, she’s going to send me to Dr. W for them. She admitted that when she attempted the colposcopy and I started bleeding, she didn’t know if she would be able to stop it. So she understands the issues and is fully supportive. She also informed me that I am a case study and Dr. W and Dr. M are writing it up. I am so thankful she passed me on to them when she did. And I am thankful as of now, she will be delivering Calvin. If I go early, it could absolutely be a different doctor from the practice, but for now it’s Dr. T. On December 30th 2014, at 12 noon!

Advertisements

Cervix update

We had our follow up for the surgery with the MFM today. He said it looks great in the sense that he can actually make out a cervix! There is still some vasculature but it is looking much more normal. Now I go back to my normal ob til 35 weeks, then I’ll have a check up with a new MFM(mine is taking a new specialty boards in Feb, so he’ll be done practicing by October) at which time they’ll decide what to do from there. Best case scenario is they’ll clip the cerclage and let nature take its course for a vaginal delivery.

 

Cervical Varicosities bill (update)

image

I had posted when the bill was in progress. Yesterday I received a a piece of mail from our insurance saying that Dr.M had thought enough ahead to get the cervical revision preapproved, but in reviewing the bill, if my insurance deemed anything medically unnecessary, it would not be covered. They had sent a similar notice last week, I don’t remember it saying the whole “things might not be covered” so I started panicking thinking this was our insurances way of telling us we’re reviewing it, there are some things we’re not going to cover, here’s your heads up. Clearly I was wrong. You can clearly see, our insurance adjustment took care of about $18600 of this, which brings up a whole other discussion, but either way, right now we’re thankful.

Bill has been posted

image

You can see that insurance hasn’t decided what they’ll pay yet. But another bill for $3000 ish they paid $640, we paid $160. But seeing that number…whew. We’re not certain if that is EVERYTHING, I kind of highly doubt that it is everything. Like that is just the hospital, I’m fully expect to get a bill from our anesthesiologist, and both Dr.W and Dr.M. Just to put it into perspective, Dr.W did our fetal heart echo, and it was the $3000 bill mentioned, so having him preform cervical surgery, I expect to be much more. What we have taken away from this, is we will likely meet our out of pocket annual MAX once this is all said and done. So hopefully Calvin, and anything else that happens will be FREE.

I have a follow-up appt with Dr.W September 11th at 9:15, and then a follow-up with my regular ob Dr.T September 12th 11:50.

First post surgery bowel movement.

Prior to surgery, my biggest blood loss occurred during a bowel movement. It would pour out of me. So the day before the surgery, I held in a bowel movement because I was scared. So today, when the urge came upon me to have a bm, I was scared. I made Joe stand outside the door. But the bm came and went, and the bleeding wasn’t anymore than I’ve had since the surgery, definitely less than before. I know its too early to say definitively, but so far I feel great, and I’m so thankful.

Cervical Varicosities

So, I have decided to make a whole new page on my blog about my cervical varicose episode. When they first mentioned to me this may be a cervical varicose, I googled. I know I shouldn’t have googled. I found a couple of places where women had asked different forums, but nobody replied with anything helpful, and those ladies didn’t follow up. So naturally, I assumed the worst, that they bled out when one accidentally ruptured. I found one medical journal article that I clung to as the source of all my information. But because of this, I wanted to write as much about my experience with it as necessary. So the hope is that one day, some scared pregnant woman will google cervical varicose vein, and find my blog, with all the information and experiences I had with it.

Cervical surgery success

(is it alliteration is if doesn’t all start with the same letter, but has the same sound?)

So we registered at 9:30. We were back getting IV, labs drawn, and heard Calvin’s heartbeat.

 At 10am minister from our church showed up to pray for us.

about 10:45, my mom and sister showed up, my sister brought some sewing project she needed ripped which was nice mindless work. Around 11, Joseph’s parents showed up.

Several nurses and residents and doctors came to talk to us about one thing or the other. Dr. W talked to us so did Dr. M, just going over the surgery, confirming I would be under general anesthesia.

About 1145, the anesthetist came to talk to us. She said she would prefer to do a spinal if we were ok with that. We said we were(though I preferred general) if the Dr.W and Dr.M OK’d it. She said she check. She came back about 10 minute later saying it would be general. They couldn’t give me versed(I think is what its called) BC it isn’t allowed during pregnancy. Versed is a sedative that helps with anxiety going into the OR where you see all the machinery.

At about 12:15, they came to take me back. Joseph said a prayer and we kissed goodbye. They wheeled me into the OR, and I scooted onto the table. The anesthesiologist came in and put me out.

I woke in recovery really thirsty and having to pee. The informed me I had a catheter in, but I told them I really had to pee. They checked the catheter to make sure it wasn’t kinked. It wasn’t. They told me my vagina has been packed, and that was likely causing pressure that I was feeling. They gave me some pain meds, Dr. W came by and told me everything went well, baby was fine. They brought in a Doppler and I listened to the heart beat. They then asked if I wanted my family, but my vagina hurt so bad, so I said just my husband.

Joe came back and I was determine I had to poop, and that would relieve this feeling. The nurse put me on a bed pan, and nothing happened. I asked her if we could take the vaginal packing out(knowing that we couldn’t, but I was in pain) she said no, but she could give me more pain meds. So she did.

Shortly after, they moved us up to Labor and Delivery. My mom and sister joined us, Joseph sent his parents home.

when the pain meds work, I’m in barely any pain, just minimal pressure.

What happened in the surgery:

My cervix was full of these varicosities. So they put in a cerlage.

One of them ruptured and Dr.M told Joseph and our family’s it poured like a faucet, if it had happened at home, I wouldn’t have made it to an ER.

My vagina is packed and they will unpack it in the morning, if the bleeding has subsided, we will go home tomorrow. If not we will stay another night.

What this means for the rest of the pregnancy:

The level of bleeding will be greatly reduced. They said I may still bleed while these varicosities are clotting up.

I will continue under the care of my ob Dr.T. At 32 weeks Dr. W will begin monitoring me, and any time after that point, Calvin can come, and they’ll let him.

Apparently the doctors told Joseph I should not return to work for two full weeks. We don’t know if that means bed rest for those weeks or just taking it easy.

What does this mean for future pregnancies:

We don’t know if this will happen in future pregnancies, but they will monitor my cervix closely, and if these varicosities happen again, they will do something sooner.

Overwhelming Gratitude

Remember when I had my job quandary. I ended up choosing the lowest paying job, at a small Catholic school. I am so confident in that decision now. When I told my assistant principal the first thing she said was “Nobody can pray like I pray. Calvin and you are going to be prayed for constantly.” How wonderful to hear something like that. In a time where I am scared and afraid, her willingness to pray for me and Calvin is overwhelming.

It isn’t only her. It all of you ladies here. I am scared, but have calmed down a lot. But everytime I got an email of a sweet comment reminding me of how many people care for Calvin, the tears would start again.

We haven’t been shy about asking for prayers. We texted our families (~30 people) who are all sending up thoughts and prayers for Calvin and myself. We texted our small group (~14 people) and friends from different points in our life. And I cried every time I got a text with promise of prayer or some typed out prayers.

My brother recently went to Cambodia to meet his girlfriend. They met on a online dating site, and have been dating for 6 or so months. Anywho, they got engaged over there, I have never met the girl, but she makes my brother happy, and that is plenty for me. This morning I got a text from her. Saying my brother told her about our difficulties, and she is thinking about Calvin and I, and hoping for the best.

I took a shower and sat down, and spent the whole time talking to Calvin. I told him how loved he is. I told him how many people are excited to love on him and meet him. And I told him that as much as we can’t wait to meet him, we can and want to wait to meet him for many more weeks.

Our support is overwhelming. And the peace I feel from all the prayers is astounding. Thank you for your sweet support.

Cervix update.

Dr. W and Dr. M are going to attempt to surgically rectify this stupid cranky varicose vein of a cervix, on Thursday. I’m not sure what time.

The biggest risk is bleeding. The smaller risk is Calvin being born. We asked our doctor and at this point, chances are survival are minimal. If we were to wait until his chances of survival are high enough to give him a fighting chance, the risk of this thing rupturing and me bleeding out before we get medical attention is too high.

We are scared. That all there is to say.

We are confident that Dr. M and Dr. W are the right doctors for us. We are hopeful the surgery will be successful, and hopeful Calvin stays put for many more weeks.

After the successful surgery, there should be no issues going forth. I can carry him until he is HUGE and BIG and HEALTHY.

Prayers for God’s guidance for the doctors in my surgery. Prayers for Calvin to stay put and GROW. Prayers for peace for Joseph and I.